Monday, June 28, 2010
Our last trail work day of the season will be this Saturday, July 3rd (see calendar for information). At our monthly meeting on July 8th, we will discuss involvement for the months of July and August.
Briefly, we would like to write several resolutions/ letters, solidfy a logo, create a few marketing materials, organize some information-stations, coordinate with the local schools and other groups, and prepare for an active and energetic fall season. For those of you who tend towards the "brains" side of the equation, these are your months to shine (and we need you!).
Also, this is a good time to relax by the pool or the lake and take evening walks with your families (don't forget to bring your hand pruners). And if you need something interesting to read this summer, Dan can provide you with a copy of Trail Building Standards. The fun never stops.
Enjoy the summer, stay cool and hydrated, and we'll see you next week!
Wednesday, June 23, 2010
If you want to have input on the logo, make sure to attend the meeting. Only attendees will have a "vote". We are trying to finalize the logo design soon so that we can move on with our marketing materials (fliers, trail signs, t-shirts, work vests, informational signs and cards...).
If you'd like more information on what the logo will be used for and suggestions regarding size, use of color, and format, please leave a comment or send me an email.
Monday, June 21, 2010
Two Boats Missing from the Mahon Fleet
Generally, I lend my boats out but this past Sunday these two disappeared without a friendly promise of return. If spotted please notify me Dan Mahon 434-806-3981 or the police 911. The boats were taken in the Crozet area, but could be most anywhere now.
On board the Dagger and also missing are a paddle, fishing gear and a lifejacket. Also note that the image below is not the boat…. the missing Dagger is the same general color but with a whitish sunburst pattern on the front deck.
Thanks for your help
Friday, June 18, 2010
Look forward to seeing you there!!
Thursday, June 17, 2010
Tuesday, June 15, 2010
Monday, June 14, 2010
Next weekend Saturday, June 19th, 8:00 - 12:00 I would like to invite the CTC to join us as we host the last work day of the season at the new Preddy Creek Park. With one more day of focused energy we can close a 3.5 mile trail started a year and a half ago and built with over 1000 hours of volunteer work. This is the primary trail for the park designed to serve a carefully planned future network of trails and interconnected places. The event will be a great training and skill building opportunity for the Crozet Crew as well as a way network with the greater trail building community. Wasn't Alex working on a trail work song?
DIRECTIONS: 29N 4 miles past the Airport Rd. intersection turn Right onto Burnely Station Rd. Follow Burnely Station Rd 2.6 miles. Park in open field on the left. Look for the CAMBC tool trailer where folks will be gathered around pancakes, coffee and maps. Happy Trails!
Saturday, June 12, 2010
Here are a few photos:
Mark, Jim, Jessica and Chris have a discussion about working too close to others with tools.
Chris, Mark and Jim clear vegetation.
Alx and Linda work on leveling out some tread.
Friday, June 11, 2010
A few updates:
- There will be no July 4th parade. Therefore, CTC will not be walking in the July 4th parade. That's too bad because Alex and Dan were working on quite a song and dance routine for us all.
- We need volunteers for 2 positions:
- Local school liasion: This person would work with the CTC and the local schools to organize group work days, class adopt-a-trail program, and other collaborative projects.
- Mid-week trail crew leader: This person will need to attend some trail work days and get approval from the County to lead trail crews. There has been some interest expressed in working on the trails during the week and so this person would also need to coordinate with interested parties. Tools will be provided by the county after approval.
If either of theses volunteer opportunities sound like something you'd be interested in, please email me or come to one of our work days or meetings.
Wednesday, June 9, 2010
The Mudhouse, Crozet
Thursday, June 10th, 2010
6:00 pm-7:30 pm
• Agenda Review (Jessica Mauzy)
• Introductions if new people are present (Name, interest in the Trails Group)
• Review of last month’s meeting minutes and approval (Jessica Mauzy)
• Updates from “Action Items” from last meeting *
• Discussion of Building (Labor) activities:
o Henley Hornet trail status
o Upcoming work days
o Ferry service to complete the loop at Beaver Creek
o A trail to connect The Meadows to Davis Road and Crozet Avenue
o Maintaining the existing trail connecting The Meadows to the schools
o Next trail projects
• Discussion of Planning (Logistics) activities:
o Possible outreach and involvement venues (July 4th parade?, T-shirts, Arts and Crafts festival booth, etc.) ,
o Volunteer(s) to maintain existing trails
o Adopt-a-trail program
o Structure of CTC
o Mid-week trail crew leader
• Next steps- Proposed work days, next Group meeting (Jessica Mauzy)
*Action Items (From May meeting)
• Come up with a logo (all)
• Set-up a Facebook page (Jessica)
• Get list of volunteers to walk in the July 4th parade (all)
• Work on getting an incentive program in place for CTC volunteers (Dan)
• Set-up clipboard in the tool cache to log volunteer hours and tool issues (Dan and Jessica)
• Follow-up with Eagle Scout representitive (Dan and Brandon)
If there is anything you'd like to see added to the agenda, please post a comment or send me an email.
Tuesday, June 8, 2010
Oh, and Briggs is Buzz.
Monday, June 7, 2010
Tuesday, June 1, 2010
June 10th- Monthly meeting at the Crozet Mudhouse, 6pm. Agenda coming later.
June 12th- Trail workday at Beaver Creek reservoir- Henley Hornets Trail, 8am.